Confidence Builder Dog Training ClassesEnroll
Our Confidence Builder class is designed to help your dog come out of its shell. Building its confidence can go a long way towards reducing reactivity and increased happiness.Our Confidence Booster class is perfect for shy dogs, or dogs whose lack of confidence causes them to react poorly to other dogs. In this course, your dog will be introduced to a number of obstacles and games that will help it realize that the world is not such a bad place after all. The obstacles and games change from class to class, so your dog learns to adjust. You will get homework after each class, so you can practice navigating the world in new and interesting ways at home. Our goal is that by the final class, your dog is not fazed by its surroundings, people, or other dogs, and it will be happy entering new environments.
How To Enroll
Call us at 312-829-8787 or click here to request enrollment. We must receive payment in order to finalize your enrollment. Please note that we can take a credit/debit card over the phone. Class size is limited, so time is of the essence.
- Prerequisites: None
- Ages: No age restrictions
- Maximum class size: 6 dogs. We keep class sizes relatively small to increase the attention given to each person
- What you will need to bring:
- A six-foot leash. No flexi-leashes are allowed in class.
- A regular collar. No prong collars, choke chains, or shock collars are allowed in class.
- Soft treats. We sell and recommend Happy Howie's, which is a large log of meat that you chop into small pieces at home, using a chopper. You can buy these from us at the class. We recommend the Vidalia Chop Wizard or similar chopper.
- A treat pouch that you attach to your waist, so you can keep your hands free and your pockets clean. You can buy these from us at the class.
- Submit payment to hold your spot: Your enrollment is not finalized until we receive full payment. We accept credit and debit cards, checks, and cash. You can submit your card number over the phone if necessary.
- Liability Waiver: You must sign our Liability Waiver in order to finalize your enrollment. We will send it to you, and you can sign it on your computer or mobile phone very easily. We would need the signed form before you attend the first class.
- Vaccinations: Before the course starts, we must receive proof of the following vaccinations. They must remain current throughout the duration of the course.
You or your vet can fax or e-mail them us. Please supply the documentation at least a day before the first class.
- Rabies if 7 months or older.
- Distemper and Parvo. (typically combined in a vaccination called DHLPP or something similar)
- Bordatella (aka "canine cough" or "kennel cough")
- Canine Influenza (the strain called "H3N2" at a minimum, although we recommend combining the vaccination with the strain called "H3N8" for full protection). Please note: The first time your dog receives this vaccination, it comes in two rounds, three weeks apart. You can start a course with just the first round. There is a nearby walk-in clinic that gives it inexpensively, with no appointment needed and no additional fees. Click here to learn more about this vaccination and why we require it.
- Significant other: You can bring your significant other or a co-owner of the dog to each class for no additional cost. We recommend this, so that the main people in the dog's life are being consistent in their commands and handling skills. This will maximize your chance of success.
- Children: Children who are eight and older are welcome to attend the courses, as long as they are not being disruptive and watch from the sidelines. Chairs are available..
- Enrolling multiple dogs: You can enroll more than one dog in the course, but each dog must be accompanied by an adult.
- Have your dog well-rested: We strongly recommend that your dog stays home and gets light walks on days when she is in a training class that night, so she is at full strength and attention. Dogs who go to daycare or play heavily at the park are normally too tired for class. If your dog normally comes here for daycare on the same day of the week as a training course, we will gladly switch you another day of the week during the course, then switch you back when it's over.
- Positive reinforcement only: As with all training classes at Tucker Pup's, this course uses only positive reinforcement techniques such as treats and praise. We do not use shock collars or dominance methods to achieve success.
- Aggression issues: No dogs are allowed in class who are a risk for biting people. In this particular class, we do allow dogs who are reactive towards other dogs, under certain conditions. Any dogs who are reactive must be wearing an approved muzzle, such as a 'Baskerville' muzzle (this is protective and secure, while comfortable and still allowing certain freedom for your dog). If you have questions or concerns regarding your dog, or need help with the muzzle, please call Tucker Pup's and ask to speak with the trainer of the class.
- Refund and cancellation policy: As is the case with most training businesses, our classes are non-refundable unless you cancel seven days in advance. This is because class size is limited, and by saving a space for you, we likely turned down a space for another customer. Click here for additional information about our cancellation and refund policy.
- Private lessons: Most dogs do not need private lessons in addition to a training course. However, you may find that you need some help with a particularly challenging behavior in advance of the course's start date. If so, the trainer can likely come to your home or meet you at a central location to give a private lesson.
Upcoming Classes and Prices
Why Tucker Pup's Classes?
- Small class size - lots of personal attention
- Experienced, professional trainers with strong credentials
- Positive reinforcement only - no shock collars, choke chains, coercion, raised voices, or other negative methods
- Classes are fun and highly interactive
- Spacious classrooms
- Ability to take makeup classes
- Strong variety of manners and fun classes, enabling you to continue building important skills
- Proven track record of strong results that will last for your dog's lifetime
- Variety of times and days of the week to choose from
- Our trainers offer private lessons if you need help with behaviors not covered in class
View More Advantages
David and the puppy training class was great! My entire family looked forward to the class all week. We learned how to train our dog easily through this class, including even our 8 and 10 year olds. We even learned tricks we didn’t know that we needed to know - like touch! After completing the puppy class our dog can sit, stay, lay down, and come when called. Very satisfied with the small class size and David clearly knows what he’s talking about. He was able to get any dog to do the task at hand easily!
- Jordan Robson
We used Tucker Pups for Puppy 101 Training. David Roos is a fantastic trainer. He works well with the puppies and the owners, often correcting or tweaking little behaviors throughout the class. He is encouraging without being demeaning, like some trainers can be with stubborn dog owners. He ultimately wants the puppies to grow and adapt to be beneficial to the owners' lifestyle, and if something doesn't fit, he provides guidance on changing the command or behavior to something that does fit. I'd recommend David for any new puppy or owners.
- Stacey Randolph
Classes in Progress
No classes have already started - see the "Upcoming Classes" section above to see upcoming classes