Position: Dog TrainerReturn to Open Positions
- Provide both private lessons and group classes. Our group classes are held on several nights per week. Private lessons are scheduled at customers' homes, or at places such as a dog park or walks. the classes and lessons would be split among each trainer.
- Help customers resolve behavioral challenges, plus basic and advanced obedience.
- For private lessons, you would primarily work from home, and be able to set your own schedule.
- We expect that you would work five days per week, with two days off if you desire. It is not necessarily 8 hours per day, and is very flexible. We focus more on revenues than hours worked.
- A strong belief in, and knowledge base of, positive reinforcement methods. We do not believe in dominance, shock collars, or other aversive methods
- Graduating from a leading training academy that promotes positive reinforcement is a plus
- A high degree of professionalism, and excellence in interpersonal communication and public speaking.
- Able to effectively provide both private lessons and group classes.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in behavioral challenges, in addition to basic and advanced obedience. Other forms of training such as agility are a plus but not necessarily a requirement.
- 50% commission
- Based on the training volume that we are generating, we expect that your annual compensation would be well above average for trainers, even those who work independently. Instead of making 100% of a lesser amount, you would be making 50% of a much higher amount and you will likely make more money
- We would handle your payroll taxes
- We provide workers comp insurance
- Employee discount for all retail items
- Five free nights of boarding per year. If no boarding suites are available, you would need to bring a crate for your dog to sleep in at night.
- One free bath per month for your dog using our equipment and supplies, if you give the baths. Must be done during times when giving the bath would not disrupt our grooming schedule
- One week paid vacation for full-time employees once you have worked here for a year
- Time and a half if you work at events
All candidates must possess the following traits:
- First and foremost, you must love dogs. It's what we're all about.
- Professional appearance. Please note that our dress code applies to all employees here (dog handlers, groomers, receptionists, trainers, etc.) and does not allow for:
- Facial piercings while you work, due to safety hazard
- Tattoos that are excessive or located on your hands, neck, or face
- Gage earrings
- Hair that is dyed an unnatural color such as green or purple
- Very personable and professional with customers at all times.
- You must have a positive attitude and work well with other people. We don't hire people who are only good with dogs but aren't good with people.
- Ability to handle dogs in a positive way while commanding their respect. Verbal or physical abuse of any dog at any time will not be tolerated.
- "Presence" with the dogs, meaning they know you are in charge and are not a pushover.
- Responsible, reliable, and prompt. We have a "three-strikes" rule because in a retail environment, failure on any of these factors is not an option.
Please note that Tucker Pup's is a drug-free workplace. We reserve the right to conduct random drug tests over the course of time. If drugs are a part of your life, please don't apply.
We are located two blocks north of Randolph Street (right near Harpo Studios). Click here for more information about our location.
- Limited parking is available for employees.
- CTA Green and Pink line - Morgan Stop. The Green line connects to Clark and Lake (one stop away) and is therefore accessible by all the other lines.
- CTA Blue line - Grand Stop.
- CTA buses - Routes 65, 8, and 20 are the closest.
- We are just a short walk from the Loop.
Click here to check out your fastest route on the CTA website.