Position: Dog HandlerReturn to Open Positions
All dog handlers must perform the following job duties:
- Interact with all dogs here for daycare and boarding, including overseeing them in group play and administering food and medicine
- Keep all areas clean and orderly
- Speak with customers in person and over the phone about how their dog is doing
There are also opportunities for giving baths, helping with event marketing, training other staff members, and assisting with the reception desk.
It is helpful, but not a total requirement, that employees have professional experience or education in working with dogs.
Even without professional experience, you must have a passion for dogs - not just playing with them, but in caring for them. We also look for factors such as work ethic, personality, punctuality, and ability to work well in a structured environment.
Helpful dog-related experience could be from:
- Another daycare / boarding facility
- Veterinary office
- Rescue organization
- Dog walking
- Professionally training dogs, such as for agility and conformation
- Going through educational courses such as Animal Behavioral College
Mondays: 10:30 am to 7:30 pm
Tuesdays: 10:30 am to 7:30 pm
Wednesdays: 10:30 am to 7:30 pm
Thursdays: 10:30 am to 7:30 pm
Sundays: 10:30 am to 7:30 pm
Position available as of: Immediately
$13.25 per hour initially, with opportunities for regular raises, based on satisfactory performance reviews and other factors
- Employee discount for all retail items
- Five free nights of boarding per year. If no boarding suites are available, you would need to bring a crate for your dog to sleep in at night.
- One free bath per month for your dog using our equipment and supplies, if you give the baths. Must be done during times when giving the bath would not disrupt our grooming schedule
- One week paid vacation for full-time employees once you have worked here for a year
- Time and a half if you work at events
All candidates must possess the following traits:
- First and foremost, you must love dogs. It's what we're all about.
- Professional appearance. Please note that our dress code applies to all employees here (dog handlers, groomers, receptionists, trainers, etc.) and does not allow for:
- Facial piercings while you work, due to safety hazard
- Tattoos that are excessive or located on your hands, neck, or face
- Gage earrings
- Hair that is dyed an unnatural color such as green or purple
- Very personable and professional with customers at all times.
- You must have a positive attitude and work well with other people. We don't hire people who are only good with dogs but aren't good with people.
- Ability to handle dogs in a positive way while commanding their respect. Verbal or physical abuse of any dog at any time will not be tolerated.
- "Presence" with the dogs, meaning they know you are in charge and are not a pushover.
- Responsible, reliable, and prompt. We have a "three-strikes" rule because in a retail environment, failure on any of these factors is not an option.
Please note that Tucker Pup's is a drug-free workplace. We reserve the right to conduct random drug tests over the course of time. If drugs are a part of your life, please don't apply.
We are located two blocks north of Randolph Street (right near Harpo Studios). Click here for more information about our location.
- Limited parking is available for employees.
- CTA Green and Pink line - Morgan Stop. The Green line connects to Clark and Lake (one stop away) and is therefore accessible by all the other lines.
- CTA Blue line - Grand Stop.
- CTA buses - Routes 65, 8, and 20 are the closest.
- We are just a short walk from the Loop.
Click here to check out your fastest route on the CTA website.